Sunday, September 28, 2014

Magic mushrooms to combat addiction and depression?


http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/17/health/magic-mushroom-chemical-depression/index.html?hpt=he_bn5
Addiction and depression are two things with which I am not familiar. I have no experience with either and, until reading this article, I had never considered them to hold any relationship with each other whatsoever. The idea that psychedelic mushrooms could be used to treat an array of mental ailments sounded preposterous. I wasn't convinced that a Schedule I drug like mushrooms could be beneficial for those suffering from mental health conditions like depression and addiction. Millions upon millions of Americans suffer from these maladies, and I had trouble believing that such a drug could actually be of assistance to those affected. Further reading about psilocybin and recently conducted studies has opened up my mind to the possibility of the use of such a drug to help treat a range of mental illness.

What do you think? Could magic mushrooms really be utilized as medicine? Should such illegal drugs even be considered for medical use? Where are the boundaries?

4 comments:

  1. I agree with Curtis, that when I first began reading this article I was surprised and doubted that these mushrooms could really help benefit people with mental ailments. However, after continuing to read the article, I began to think that maybe it could be a useful treatment. Sometimes cures and treatments come from strange ideas but sometimes that's just how science is. Obviously, as the article mentions, more testing must be done but I think that it could definitely be used as a treatment in the future. Since it is obviously illegal for certain reasons, it should not be available for everyone, but if its seems like a treatment that could benefit someone with a mental ailment it should be an option for them if recommended by a doctor. More testing should be done, but it should still be considered as an option in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To some degree this goes along with the whole cannabis for cancer debate. Governments swear off these possibly helpful drugs and I for one won't stand for it. At one point we have to make the decision for whether or not drugs being illegal stops us from helping people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Building off of what Bella said, the way the government chooses which drugs are legal or not is very weird, biased, and in many ways outdated. For example, marijuana is outlawed even though cigarettes and alcohol are much more harmful and are still legal. I don't think these odd biases should stop a possible medication from being used to help people who need it. Of course, research must be done and the medication must be refined, but I don't think the fact that a drug is currently illegal should inhibit research on its possibilities as a medicine. -Charis Nixon

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Erica's idea that this type of treatment could be helpful, but obviously it needs to be tested before we use it. I feel like the government should be more open to certain drugs like this that could potentially help a lot of people. Of course, once we find a better, completely harm-free method to help relieve depression, we could switch to that. Until then, we have to deal with what we have, which happens to be mushrooms at the moment.

    ReplyDelete