- Do you believe mental health is as important as physical health?
- Do you believe people who are happy with friends seem mentally healthier than people who are more isolated?
- Do you feel better physically when you are around your friends? Do you think you perform better?
- What other things can loneliness lead to?
- Do you think your health would change if you became more isolated?
Thursday, March 19, 2015
Could Loneliness Speed Up Mortality?
We all know, as humans, that we are social creatures. It is natural for us to want to have relationships with others, but is it so deep in ourselves that it can actually begin to deteriorate us if we are socially isolated? This generation especially has become more socially isolated, and rates only continue. Blame it on the media, technology, unreachable standards, etc, but studies show that people who have died around the age of 65 tended to live rather lonely lives. Its effects are incredible and even comparable to the obesity epidemic we are facing. Some researchers say that we could even have a "loneliness epidemic" in the future if such rates continue.