Sunday, September 27, 2015

How stress affects your health


http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/stress.aspx



In health class, we learned that social, mental, and emotional health are important aspects of health that require acknowledgement and development. Our interactions with others and with our environments can change drastically according to the levels of stress that we may be undergoing. There are two main categories of stress: short-term stress and chronic stress.

Short-term stress doesn't tend to last long, although it can have deadly consequences at times, such as heart attacks. This form of stress is often caused by individual events, from having to play the piano at Carnegie Hall to experiencing a sudden and unexpected earthquake.

Chronic stress, on the other hand, is long-term. It can physically wear and tear at one's body, as well as cause mood swings and negativity. Furthermore, chronic stress has been known to be a factor behind cardiovascular diseases.

To avoid or get rid of stress, one can build strong relationships, identify causes of stress, get psychiatric help, or even do something as simple as learning to reign in anger.

I found this article to be interesting, as it differentiated between the two types of stress. It was detailed, and offered some solutions instead of only identifying the problems. I could definitely relate to the idea of stress negatively impacting personal life.

-Can you recall a time when you experienced stress? If so, which type of stress was it?

-What do you think are the best ways to reduce or eliminate stress?

11 comments:

  1. Everyone experiences stress and has trouble eliminating their stress. A time that I felt short-term stress was during finals week last year. Taking breaks and thinking about things other than school were some ways that helped reduce my stress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taking breaks can help me a lot as well.

      Delete
  2. My uncle and aunt have stress and what they do to help it is to do yoga at home and at work they would use a gel stress ball because it would really help if you're in a meeting and they can't just get up and start to do yoga in the middle. For me I would take a break from the thing that is giving me stress and I would listen to music and focus on the music and not on the item giving me stress or I would just take a shower because when I take a hot shower it makes me more relax and then I could probably fix the problem and get rid of the stress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only time I am stressed is when I have to be around family. The best way for me is to be away from my family for a long period of time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have experienced stress a lot during school and also during sports. I think that I have have chronic stress because I tend to stress about little things for a long time and am always stressed about doing the best I can. I have performance anxiety and stress that I can't do the best I can during sports or school. One way I reduce stress is by running and doing hard workouts. By doing this it takes my mind off of the things in my life that stress me out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I become stressed I become an angry person. I begin to throw attitude, ignore people, and I lack focus. I probably get this way everytime I get a C in a class. For me the best way to reduce my stress level is to go on a run or play basketball, because when I do those two things I isolate myself from the outside world. And at those moments nothing else matters. I would tell people to reduce stress by doing good something you love and enjoy doing because then you will forget about school, family, friends, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I'm stressed I can find many things irritable and tend to have a temper. I find that taking a break and relaxing from whatever is stressing me out usually calms me down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to be stressed out a lot. I had chronic stress for at least a few years. It got to the point where I would grind my teeth so much that now I have to wear a night guard to relocate me jaw. So after that I decided that I needed to reduce my stress so I went to the gym and worked out a lot and that helped me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I experience stress all the time especially when I entered High school. I have more stress now that I am a senior in college with so much information of taking my life to a new step in college and veing on my own and having the sufficient grades to be excepted to my dream school. I alway say that going on long walks when the weather is cool and a little bit of breeze always reduces my stress just breathing some fresh air helps be forget of all the things that I have to do with so little time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I experience stress very often mostly because of high school and also leaving all of my friends and coming to Hillsdale and many other factors, i have yet to find a way to cope with my stress and I'm horrible at opening up and talking to people so this has affected me a lot in my school performance and also my all around focus and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Usual times I experience stress is when I have a lot going on in my life and I feel in that moment I cannot handle all of the responsibility. School is one of the main factors that cause stress in my life. Sometimes the best ways to cope with stress is crying. Sometimes you have to let it out. Most of the time I try and take a quick break, not think of anything, and just take time for myself to relax. This year I also found it helpful to talk to teachers when I am stressed. They are extremely understanding and help you to move forward.

    ReplyDelete