Wednesday, November 18, 2015

3 WAYS TO INCREASE POSITIVE EMOTIONS

3 Ways to Increase Positive Emotions
This article shows interesting and different ways to help boost positivity and a happy life style. I think that this is a very helpful article which can help people who are dealing with problems such as low self esteem, sadness, and depression.
My questions are: 
1,What do you think of these methods?
2. would you follow these methods?
3. How do you think this could help you?
Positive emotions don't just feel good — they're good for you. Research shows that people feel and do their best when they experience at least three times as many positive emotions as negative ones.
Ready to boost your positivity ratio? Here are 3 ways to increase positive emotions in everyday life:
  1. Identify and track your positive emotions.
  2. Focus on a specific positive emotion and act to increase it.
  3. Use a positivist treasure chest to give yourself a boost.


Track Your Positive Emotions Name the positive emotions you're already familiar with, the ones you've experienced in your daily life. Make a list. Add new emotions as you notice them.


Now look at your list. Think about (and write down) which activities, situations, or people are involved when you tend to feel each emotion.
Image result for lists of positive emotionsYou also can look over your list of emotions at the end of the day and write down when you felt different positive emotions. Did you feel proud after playing well on the soccer field? Happy when your friends remembered your birthday? Amused when your history teacher channeled his inner comedian during that day's lesson?
Tracking positive emotions helps us be more aware of the positive feelings we already experience, and the situations or activities that bring them.

Increase a Specific Positive Emotion


Image result for determined face
Identify a positive emotion you want to increase. Let's say you want to feel more joy. Think of situations or activities you've experienced that made you aware of your joy. Write down as many as you can.
Focus on small, simple things, like a song that makes you feel joyful whenever you hear it. Any time you notice you're feeling joy, consider adding that situation or activity to your list.
After you know what prompts the emotion you want to increase, decide how to fit those activities or others like them into your everyday life. Pick things that are realistic enough to do every day. You may not be able to walk on the beach, but you could still feel joy by listening to a song that reminds you of vacation.
Commit to one or more daily actions that will increase the feeling you want more of in your life. Make time for these experiences. Think of them as the emotional equivalent of your "5 a day" fruits and vegetables — they're good for your emotional health!

Create a Positivity Treasure Chest


Sometimes we forget the way back to feeling positive. We might need a reminder that can lead us back to a happier emotional place. That's when a positivity box (or folder) is really helpful.
A positivity box is a collection of reminders of positive experiences we've had. These reminders bring back the feelings associated with the good moments in our lives, our strengths, joys, and accomplishments, the fun we've had, the books or music that have meaning for us, the people who are important to us. It's a positivity "treasure chest."
Collect things that remind you of positive emotional moments in your life. For example:
    Image result for positivity treasure chest
  • photos or other souvenirs of great times
  • awards that remind you of an accomplishment
  • cards or notes from special people in your life
  • favorite inspirational quotes or song lyrics
  • childhood mementos
  • something you made or drew
  • a gift someone gave you
  • a photo of someone you look up to
Put everything in a folder, binder, or special box where you can easily find it. Or make a collage, poster, or mobile of the items. The most important thing is to choose only items that trigger a positive emotion for you. You can add, subtract, and rearrange them any time.
When you feel low or discouraged, take a few minutes to look through your treasure box to boost your positive emotions. Browse through it any time to give yourself a daily serving of positivity.
As you work on increasing your positive emotions, you might notice that you feel happier, more accomplished, and more energetic. A small daily investment of focusing on the positive pays off with big lifetime rewards.
http://teenshealth.org/teen/your_mind/emotions/positive-emotions.html
Reviewed by: D'Arcy Lyness, PhD
Date reviewed: December 2013

10 comments:

  1. I think that this article is a really cool attempt and way to get people to see the positives of life. One thing that I do when I'm in a dark place or stressed out or really randomly, is to make a list of blessings throughout my day of the little things that you wouldn't normally think about to the bigger obvious things. It's hard to be consistent at first, but once you get in the habit, reflecting on it later is so worth it!! Looking back at the end of the day; it's crazy to see how many things we need to be thankful for in life, and I thought that it could relate to this method too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think these are effective and legitimate ways to become happier. I think a lot about how I can become a happier person as well. What works for me is being grateful for everything around me, similar to what Kelly does, and also being optimistic and believing that everything will turn out well, even if it's not how I expected it to turn out. Also another step that would help is to avoid complaining, since the more you brood on something negative the worse it will become. Instead, I try to look for ways to solve my problems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think these are effective and legitimate ways to become happier. I think a lot about how I can become a happier person as well. What works for me is being grateful for everything around me, similar to what Kelly does, and also being optimistic and believing that everything will turn out well, even if it's not how I expected it to turn out. Also another step that would help is to avoid complaining, since the more you brood on something negative the worse it will become. Instead, I try to look for ways to solve my problems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this article was really cool it has a lot of great details. But one thing I like to do when I'm feeling stressed out is that I like to think or sometimes I like to make a list about all the things that I'm stressing about and once they are written down I try o come up with solutions to these problems. This really helps me I think that reflecting back on your problems is a very good way to lower your stress down a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this article really stands out because it gives ways to be happier when you're stressed out. I think by reflecting on yourself and your negative actions or emotions that it could definitely better you for the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is brilliant. I would have never thought about actively seeking out positive emotions! For me it always seems very subconscious. The idea that I should be "seeking out" more joy or whatever emotion I wish to have more of is an alien concept, and I think its probably much easier said than done. This seems like a long process though (with lots of lists involved), but seems to be pretty promising. I probably won't follow the tips, because they require a lot of activity, but I am definitely open to trying this out because it seems really clever and a new approach to positive emotion.

    About the "treasure chest", I feel many of us create this subconsciously (or at least I do). But, I definitely think spending 20 min to make a collection of important things to me when I'm down could both make me feel happier when I'm sad and also boost my self confidence. Most definitely will. Thanks for the good tips!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked this article as well. It really stands out and it has lots of details. One of the things that really stands out is the way to be happy when you're stressing out. This is showing that stressing out can also have a positive side.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like all of these methods a lot, but I think I'd only follow the Positivity Treasure Chest because I like doing arts and crafts and I think it'd be really fun to make one of those and having really specific memories from a souvenir or photos always make me smile since I can remember that time really well. For example, my grandma with Alzheimer's gave me a lucky bracelet the Christmas before she got diagnosed and whenever I see it or wear it I always remember what a happy person she is and how great of a grandma she was to me. I think this could help me just remember all the little times and little joys in life as constant reminders of happy times. People sometimes just look at the big picture and forget all the little things and I think a Positivity Treasure Chest can help with that. I've been wanting to do something similar to that when I found it on Pinterest of making a jar filled with folded up written notes of happy memories like either with your family, friends, or partner and if you're having a bad day or something happens with that person or people, then you can just open up the notes to read and remind you of happy times with them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The methods are pretty good but I like the positivity chest like I can use that chest when I am sad or I'm not feeling to well that day so I can cheer myself by going to the chest and getting all the positives out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think these methods are great because they will help you keep a positive attitude. I would use these methods. It would help me feel less stressed out...specially about finals! JUST THINK HAPPY THOUGHTS!

    ReplyDelete