Wednesday, November 25, 2015

A dose of positivity a day keeps the depression away



Why are teens so prone to depression? Study shows that about 20 percent of teenagers will experience some form of depression. There are actually many causes of teen depression, school, genetics, loss of a loved one, etc. Depression causes people to constantly feel irritable, sad, and worthless. In many cases depression can even lead to suicide. So how can you help yourself or someone else who is depressed? Don't isolate yourself. If you're depressed, you might not want to see anyone. However, isolation can make your depression even worse. Go hang out with your friends, or people who make you feel good about yourself. You should also keep your body healthy and stay away from drugs or alcohol. This can improve your mood and your mindset. Exercise and eat a healthy diet. An improper diet will worsen your symptoms. If your friend is depressed, go talk to him or her and provide encouragement. It will make them feel like they are worth something. 

Have you ever felt depressed before?

If so, how did you deal with it? 

What other tips do you have in dealing with depression. 


8 comments:

  1. Exercising and a more nutritious diet has helped me in personally deal with depression. I agree with what you said about isolation; when I forced myself to go out with friends I ended up forgetting about the things that got me down and just having a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exercising and a more nutritious diet has helped me in personally deal with depression. I agree with what you said about isolation; when I forced myself to go out with friends I ended up forgetting about the things that got me down and just having a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never personally been depressed, but I've definitely been in a very down/upset state. When I feel this way I find that being around friends or family is definitely the best medicine. Being around positive people who can get your mind off things in your life that might not be so positive really will help put you at a better state of mind. Also, I agree that exercise and simply being healthy helps your body and mind flourish not just physically but also mentally and emotionally. Another tip when you are feeling very down would be to participate in your favorite hobby, or
    listen to upbeat music... It really does work to distract your mind and remind you of positives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know many people that struggle with depression. I think it is very important for not only the person who is depressed to reach out, but even people who the depressed person is trying to reach out to. Exercise and eating healthy is just good in general and its even easier when you have friends that you go to the gym with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After failing a test I felt very depressed. So depressed that I was ready to give up on the class, but I put my mind on the future and thought what would happen if I gave up on the class. I realized that doing that would make it only worse so I turned my positive thinking forward and kept on trying to pass the class.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been diagnosed with depression and I know what's it like to try to get through life with it. The way I deal with it is I talk to my friends or blast music in my ears or watch tv to keep myself occupied. I used to write down how I felt then rip it up, or I would put on my favorite tv show and just watch that until I felt a little bit better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I have ever seriously felt depressed, but there were times when I couldn't take my mind off a negative feeling and all I wanted to do was damage things or hurt people. Looking back, I have noticed that these feelings only occurred when I was by myself at home. I think talking to people is definitely important in dealing with depression, as Wesley stated. One way that might work in helping deal with depression is writing down the things that make you depressed. Ultimately, I think communicating your feelings is the best way to deal with depression. Isolation only makes things worse.

    ReplyDelete
  8. To be honest, I have felt depressed before. I lost a loved one of mine and it hurt a lot. I have never felt so low before in life. I just had to stay close to my other loved ones and realize that death is a part of life.

    ReplyDelete