Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Can Playing Video Games Be Good for Your Health??


http://theweek.com/articles/466852/7-health-benefits-playing-video-games

In this article by The Week, writer Danny Gallagher believe that video game does help with our health. He said that he also used to be a gamer back when Nintendo 64 was everyone favorite console, and every time his parent will kick him out of the game because they were concerned about how it might affect your long-term health. He also know that Plenty of studies have shown that games that don't require a lot of physical movement can have an adverse effect on children as they grow older, but me and Danny think that games do have a benefit to human health and body (not done).

Therese some video game that actually help some disable kid. chronic illnesses is a well known illnesses that happen in the US, The University of Utah released a study last year that examined the effects of regular gaming on children diagnosed with illnesses like autism, depression, and Parkinson's disease. Kid who participate in playing those games showed signs of improvement in "resilience, empowerment, and a 'fighting spirit.'"

For older kid and adult who play video games, video game can also reduce stress and depression. In the 2009's Annual Review of Cybertherapy and Telemedicine included a study that found that gamer who suffered from mental health issues such as stress and depression were able to vent their frustration and aggression by playing video games. video game can also be a pain relief. Psychologists at the University of Washington developed a game that helps hospital patients suffering from immense physical pain by using an age-old mental trick: distraction. The virtual reality game "Snow World" put patients in an arctic wonderland in which they throw an endless arsenal of snowballs at a series of targets, such as penguins and snowmen. wounded patient after playing the game 'SNOW WORLD" required less pain medicine.

For me theirs one last one that I  think are truly help for everyone's health. I think that Video games can improve your vision and decision-making skills. Now days there are some games require fast reactions and split-second decisions Cognitive neuroscientists at the University of Rochester in New York found these games give players' brains plenty of practice for making decisions in the real world. We all know that sitting right in front of a screen for way too long isn't a good thing, But one developmental psychologist found it could actually be beneficial to your vision. Dr. Daphen Maurer of the Visual Development Lab of Ontario's McMaster University made a discovery that People suffering from cataracts can improve their vision by playing first-person shooter games, she also said that those games are so fast that player need such heavy attention in to the game making player a better eye site and look at more detail on an object

13 comments:

  1. For me I think playing video games help me. as specially after a week of school, playing with your friend in a chat playing the game we love is very relieving. For the eye site part just make sure dont look at the screen for way too long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Initially, I would have said that video games are bad for a person's health. However, after reading this article, I am amazed at how video games improve your health. Even though it says that "one developmental psychologist found it could be beneficial for your vision" I still think that sitting right in front of a television for hours will long term harm your vision. I do think that video games improve your decision making skills because most games require fast reactions and split-second decisions. Even though I am not a consistent video gamer, when I have played a few games, I notice that I become less stressed and relaxed to some extent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danny Gallagher believes video games help with health because there are games that help disabled kids. Kids showed improvement in " resillence, empowerment and fighting spirit." Video games help with stress and depression, also pair relief
    I believe that video games are bad for kids because they need to do exercise and go outside in the real world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also believe that video games are good for health because it can bring down depression and reduce stress. It also can be a pain reliever. In the article, it said, that kids with autism who played video games showed improvement in "resilience, empowerment and "fighting spirit", ".

    ReplyDelete
  5. This article honestly surprised me. I learned that video games are a good outlet for mixed emotions of aggression. I thought it would potentialy make it worse and push you to do bad, but it seems that video games are a really good help when having issues and needing to let your feelings out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This article honestly surprised me. I learned that video games are a good outlet for mixed emotions of aggression. I thought it would potentialy make it worse and push you to do bad, but it seems that video games are a really good help when having issues and needing to let your feelings out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In this article, they mentioned how video games are beneficial towards helping someone deal with emotional pain as well as physical pain, and I totally agree with these statements. From personal experience, submersing yourself into a video game allows venting of frustration of real world problems. Many children who have aggressive thoughts due to problems at school or at home can easily forget about their problems by getting lost in a video game, and perform actions in games that would be harmful in real life. Also, the article mentions the improvement of reaction times and quick thinking, which I can definitely vouch for from personal experience.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think video games truly help with decision making because you have to react to the situation and you do not have a lot of time. This article really did surprise me because I learned that video games help with chronic illnesses, vision, decision making, preschoolers’ motor skills, provide pain relief, and keep you happy even in old age. However video games are really addictive and can be a distraction. In my opinion, we should always know when to stop and do some productive things. And playing video games too often isn’t good for you therefore you should be careful with it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found this article really interesting because my younger brother is really into video games and he spends all day everyday playing with his friends through Skype, and that is their way of "hanging out". I was always so against this because I felt like they were not getting fresh air and enough exercise. This is still true, but after reading this article I have a new perspective on video games. I didnt know that they can help relieve stress, or help kids with motor skills. Now I feel a little better about my brother playing video games a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that the problem here is not the actual health effects of playing video games, but the consequences of playing them for too long. Sure, I get that video games can improve some cerebral functions. I've known that since 2014, a full year after this article came out. Anyways. Anything is bad for you in large enough amounts. However, when I see people pull out this kind of study on their parents, it's not a good excuse. Playing video games is fine in moderation. Playing 6 hours of video games a day to the detriment of your health is not fine. Developing an addiction to video games is not fine. Using video games as a way to escape from problems is fine. Letting video games take over your life is not fine. Overall, I agree with this article. I can see the reasoning behind playing video games to help with motor skills. But when your grades start to drop and you start to gain a lot of weight because of video games, this is no longer a viable excuse.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do believe that playing video games could be beneficial in some aspects but I do believe as well that playing to much video games all at once could also have some negative effects. I found it interesting that video games could improve vision but once I was brought to this idea that it could improve vision it did make sense that I could because of the attentiveness required to do well in the game. I do play video games but I do believe that they are better ways to improve decision making skills and improve vision and reflects such as learning a instrument or playing sports.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was surprised that there were actual health benefits to playing video games. I enjoy playing video games and spend a lot of time doing so, but I thought they only lead to negative things. For example, my eye sight worsening over time due to long hours of staring at a screen. I found it interesting that they can also help those who are suffering from physical pain.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought this article was really interesting because #2 says that "Video games improve preschoolers' motor skills". I connected with this because as a kid I would play PlayStation with my dad and I was known as a top student at my preschool, so it would be awesome to know that video games may have assisted in that.

    ReplyDelete